Campsites in Spain are more than 90 percent occupied this summer

by Lorraine Williamson
camping holidays in Spain

Good news for Spanish campsites! In the summer of 2023, more than 5 million visitors are expected, which means that the occupancy rate will exceed 90%. Furthermore, it is not only campsites along the Mediterranean are proving popular among holidaymakers. 

Campsites in Spain are very likely to exceed previous years’ occupancy figures in the summer of 2023. The Spanish Federation of Campsites (FEEC) expects an average occupancy rate of no less than 90%. According to the federation, there are also hundreds of campsites that will even be completely full. Especially in the period between July 15 and August 20, it gets busy on Spanish campsites. 

Rising rates and high occupancy rates are no guarantee for higher profits 

This year, the FEEC expects more than 5 million people to go on holiday to a campsite. Moreover, some 23 million overnight stays are expected. The rates for campers have increased by 5% this year. However, despite this increase and the huge numbers, the federation does not expect that campsites will suddenly make a huge profit. This is because the costs for electricity and gas have also increased considerably, which will weigh on the profit/loss account. 

Glamping and bungalows remain most popular in Spain 

Around 40% of the bookings for campsites were made in the first quarter of 2023. The remaining 60% took place after Easter. The average stay at a campsite is 7 days, with families spending an average of between €120 and €140 per day. 

On many campsites, bungalows will in many cases, be fully occupied in the summer. An average occupancy rate of 80% is expected for the pitches for campers, caravans and tents. Furthermore, glamping also remains as popular as ever on Spanish campsites, especially among families. 

Cogesa Expats

Also read: Camping in the Spanish Pyrenees

Popularity of campsites in Spain has been rising for ten years in a row 

Over the past ten years, the popularity of campsites in Spain has increased significantly. Data from the National Institute of Statistics (INE) confirms this upward trend. The number of camping enthusiasts increased by 40.7% to nearly 5.1 million in the period from June 15 to September 15 from 2013 to 2022. And, furthermore, the number of overnight stays at Spanish campsites has also increased by 30.7% in ten years. 

Where is the most crowds expected in Spain? 

Campsites on the Mediterranean Sea (Valencia, Andalucia, Murcia and Barcelona) remain as popular as ever and expect an occupancy rate of over 90%. Nevertheless, the 90% is also expected to be achieved in the north of Spain (Galicia, Cantabria, Asturias and the Basque Country). Even campsites in the interior of Spain (Navarra, La Rioja, Aragon, Community of Madrid, Castile and Leon, Castile-La Mancha and Extremadura) expect to come very close to the same percentage. 

Also read: Exploring the beauty of Spain: Unforgettable camping holidays

Baycrest Wealth

You may also like