Atletico came from 2 goals behind, thanks to a double by Griezmann, the teams both sat level on 2-2. However, with almost 40 minutes of the second half remaining, Griezmann was sent for an early bath. Although he was clearly watching the ball, he showed his studs and hit Firmino´s face. Therefore, the referee showed him the red card, and sent him off. Whether a red card was warranted or not, remains to be seen.
Liverpool then scored again, making is 2-3 as a result of a penalty. Simeone even agreed with this decision, although others did not. However, in the 81st minute Suarez had a clear opportunity to equalise. A penalty had been called, but as Suarez was preparing, VAR was consultant. The referee seemed very unsure, but after many tense moments, it was decided Giménez was offside. Therefore, the penalty opportunity did not stand, and the referee cancelled it.
Without a doubt, at least three controversial decisions were made in the champions league match last night, which if the outcomes were different could have made a dramatic difference to the performance on the pitch and the standings in the table.
Other Champions League news
There is lots more Champions League action later today with Barcelona kicking it off against Dynamo Kyiv. Then later, Lille against Sevilla and Man United take on Atalanta. Also, this evening, Chelsea play Malmo and Villarreal are up against Young Boys.
- Man city is only 1 point behind leaders PSG in Group A
- Liverpool is top with 9 points, followed by Atletico on 4 in Group B
- Real Madrid are placed in second position due to goal difference in Group D
- Barcelona not having scored yet and lost both matches so far will be desperate for a win today in Group E
- Man United and Villarreal are 3rd and 4th respectively in Group F
- Sevilla is in 2nd place in Group G
- Chelsea also in 2nd position in Group H
Real Sociedad sit in top place on 20 points. Joint 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th all sitting on 17 points are Real Madrid, Sevilla, Atletico, and Osasuna. However, Real Sociedad and Osasuna have both played 9 games, with the others only 8. Of the 4 teams with 17 points, Real Madrid is ahead on goal difference.
Rayo Vallecano is just behind on 16 points, and in 7th place sit Barcelona on 15 points. Like Real Madrid, Sevilla and Atletico, Barcelona also has a game in hand-
Real Sociedad lost 24-year-old, Muñoz to a red card last Saturday.
Barcelona won their last La Liga match 3-1 against Valencia, however this Sunday afternoon, they take on Real Madrid at home. Also, on Sunday evening Atletico are at home against Real Sociedad. These two matches could change everything in the standings so far.
- Rangers, bottom of Group A with 0 points and yet to score take on Brondby tomorrow.
- Real Sociedad is 3rd in Group B with two points having drawn both games played so far. They play their third match tomorrow against bottom place FK Sturm Graz.
- Leicester City is bottom of Group C having drawn one game and lost the other. They play this afternoon against Spartak Moscow.
- Real Betis is currently joint top of Group G but sitting second on goal difference. Real Betis play tomorrow against top position, Leverkusen. Celtic also in Group G but having won their 1st match of 3 yesterday against Ferencvaros, are still in 3rd place.
- West Ham, leaders of Group H, play against Genk tomorrow.