Difficult access to care for almost 80% of Valencians

by Lorraine Williamson
access to health care
del canto chambers 2

VALENCIA – For 78.3% of the inhabitants of the Valencia region, it is difficult to access care in their health centre. This is the conclusion of a study by consumer organisation FACUA. 

FACUA Valencia wanted to know the level of satisfaction of users concerning their access to care in their region. Nearly 80% of Valencians thus appear to have difficulty accessing the required primary care in their health centre. 

They seem to have to insist a lot to get in touch with their health centre. Of that 78.3%;

  • 59.3% say they have to push a lot to contact them
  • 19% say it is “impossible” to contact the ‘Centro Salud’

This is evidenced by the results of the survey carried out by FACUA in the Valencian Community to find out user satisfaction with healthcare in the Autonomous Community. 

Once they contact the health care centre, 37.1% say it is very “complicated”. And, furthermore, that they have to push very hard to get a physical appointment. 47.1% of the respondents indicate that the contact is initially problematic, but that they are eventually treated. Only 15.8% say they are always taken care of when needed. 

In addition, 54.5% of the 563 respondents say they have to wait between 15 and 30 minutes at the GP. Whereas, 25.9% have to wait between 30 and 60 minutes, and 4.6% experienced more than 60 minutes of waiting time. Only 14.9% confirm they get fast service. 

Takes too long to see a doctor 

45.3% of the respondents think that the term for making an appointment with the GP is not sufficient. It is too long and they never have an appointment earlier than two weeks from the call . 38.4% agree with the term and usually have an appointment within a week. 16.3% of respondents say the deadline is “totally inappropriate”. Moreover, that it takes a month or more to get the appointment they want. 

In terms of the time spent by the doctor on care per patient, 53.1% say it is sufficient. Meanwhile 36.6% sometimes consider it correct, but others think it is too short. Only 10.3% believe more time should be spent caring for each patient. 

C&D Solicitors

Care in the health care centre 

In the case of primary care, 48.0% have sometimes been seen by a professional other than their doctor, 38.5% by the same professional. Only 13.5% are usually seen by different professionals. 

In the case of telephone assistance, 49.6% indicate that they can tell the symptoms with the same ease as if they were physically in the doctor’s office. However, 50.4% find it difficult to communicate the complaints well by telephone. 

60.4% of respondents say they understand medical advice and prescriptions over the phone with the same ease as during a face-to-face conversation. On the other hand, 39.6% do not understand medical advice and prescriptions over the phone with the same ease as if they had sat across from their doctor. 

For example, 62.7% of respondents do not feel as satisfied with the personal service as with the telephone service, and only 37.3% are equally satisfied with both. 

Specialised care 

In the case of specialised care, 55.2% think that referrals to specialists are limited, 21.7% have sometimes been prevented from being referred and 23.1% do find that their doctor finds limitations in referring them to the specialist care. specialist. 

Appointment with the specialist 

In the specialist department, in 74.1% of the patients, a month or more elapses before the appointment with the specialist takes place. 14% say they get an appointment within a month, 5.5 usually get it within a week and 6.4% don’t need it. 

Waiting more than 180 days for surgery 

50.3% of those surveyed ultimately did not require surgery. Of those who had surgery, 29.5% had to wait more than 180 days, 10.5% had had to wait before 180 days had passed surgery, 7.6% before 90 days, and only 2.1% within 30 days. The vast majority of respondents who required intervention (59%) had to wait more than 180 days for surgery. 

Claims 

75.8% of those surveyed never claimed for delays in visiting both health care centres and hospitals or for the delays in care, while 24.2% did make claims. 95.9% of those surveyed did not consider or make a claim for discriminatory treatment based on sexual orientation, language, race, or religion, while 4.1% considered or made a claim for it. 

You may also like