The final of the UEFA Europa League in Seville

by Lorraine Williamson
Europa League Final

FOOTBALL – The final of the Europa League took place last night (Wednesday May 18) at The Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium in Seville.

The match between Eintracht Frankfurt and Rangers FC began at 9pm. It was packed with action right from the whistle.

The first half

The first chances came for Frankfurt after just 12 minutes. However, McGregor denied the attempts. Chances for both sides continued but without a goal. The first half ended goalless.

The second half started strong for the Frankfurt side, but they still did not manage to put the ball in the net. Then, after 57 minutes; the first goal comes. Aribo puts Rangers in front with a left-footed strike into the bottom left corner of the net. The stadium came alive and the Rangers fans were jubilant.

Penalty chance

Just 3 minutes later, a chance comes for Eintracht Frankfurt when they look for a penalty due to a handball. However, it was confirmed the ball came off the chest of a Rangers defender, and therefore, the penalty was refused.

The equaliser

But then it comes – the equaliser. Borre manages to get the ball past McGregor and into the bottom right-hand corner. With just 20 minutes of normal time to go, both teams have everything to play for.

McGregor has had a magnificent game and manages to keep Frankfurt from scoring. However, despite 6 minutes of stoppage time being added, the match finished 1-1 and goes to extra time.

Extra Time

Not much happens during extra time with perhaps the exception of substitutions with penalty kicks in mind. Extra time does not produce any further goals. And indeed, the match goes to penalties.


First up, James Tavernier scores for Rangers, and Christopher Lenz equalises. Davis, Hrustic, Arfield, and Kamada all score, making it all square 3-3 on penalties. Then Aaron Ramsey steps up for Rangers, and missed, but Kostic scored for Eintracht making it 4-3. Roofe managed to score for Rangers, and it was all down to Rafael Santos Borre Maury. Maury scored, and it was all over for Rangers.

Before the game

Despite police requests for respect and calm, as captured on Twitter by @SenorGanan, there were scenes of violence between both sets of fans.

After the game

Footage from the Policia Nacional shows fans peacefully leaving the stadium.

One Rangers fan commented to the BBC,They did us proud. We did really well and that’s what matters. You can’t ask for more than what they did”.

Baycrest Wealth

You may also like