MADRID – On Saturday 9 April, the Spanish government published the current tobacco prices in the Official Gazette BOE. It concerns the retail prices of certain tobacco products in tobacconists and stamp shops (Estancos) proposed by manufacturers and importers.
Moreover, prices of cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco vary between mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands or Ceuta, and Melilla. Furthermore, the changes were made on the basis of resolutions of the Tobacco Market Commissioner.
For example, an average pack of cigarettes in Spain now costs €4.53. Therefore, that means an average monthly amount of €135.90, calculates the newspaper 20Minutos.
Here’s what some brands now cost in mainland Spain:
Cigarettes (per packet)
- Corset Lile Superslims: €4.30
- Corset Marine Superslims: €4.30
- Corset Pink Superslims: €4.30
- Corset White Superslims: €4.30
- Gold Coast Red 100s (20): €4.00
- Gold Coast Red 22s (22): €4.35
- Lucky Strike Twist (20): €4.50
- Calypso: Reig Platinum Filter (4): €0.30
- Don Tomás: Clasico Robusto (25): €3.65
- Macanudo: Inspirado White Toro (20): €5.70
- Reposado: Connecticut Toro (10): €1.50
- Silverado: Silverado Purple Ice Click (El envase de 17): €2.50
- Swisher: Amber Cigars (el envase de 2): €70
- Amethyst Cigars (el envase de 2): €0.70
- Classic Cigars (el envase de 2): €0.70
- Diamonds Cigars (el envase de 2): €0.70
- Borkum Riff Copper (50 g): €6.15
- Erinmore Mixture Lata (50 g): €8.15
- Half & Half (50 g): €5.95
- Holster Iz Finger (200 g): €14.80
- Holster Iz Finger (50 g): €3.95
- Holster Mr. C (200 g): €14.80
- Holster Mr. C (50 g): €3.95
- Holster Unicorn (200 g): €14.80
- Holster Unicorn (50 g): €3.95
- Peterson Old Dublin (50 g): €9.75
- Stanwell Sungold (50 g): €6.45
- Taboo Darkum (200 g): 1€2.90
- Taboo Game Over (200 g): €12.90
In Ceuta and Melilla, changes in tobacco prices only affect the following brands of pipes:
- Borkum Riff Copper (50 g) €5.55
- Half & Half (50 g) €5.40
- Taboo Darkum (200g) €8.95
- Taboo Game Over (200g) €8.95.
Tax burden on tobacco in Spain
In Spain, tobacco has an average tax burden of 80.4%, well below the countries with the highest tax burden such as Finland (89.8%), Denmark (88.5%) and Estonia (87.2%). However, the countries with the lowest taxes are in turn Luxembourg (69.3%), Germany (69.4%) and Sweden (73.3%).
What does an average smoker spend per month
Moreover, a pack of twenty cigarettes in Spain costs an average of €4.53. This, therefore, equates to €135.90 per month for a smoker who consumes one pack per day. A price that is cheap compared to neighbouring countries such as France, with an average price of €9.70 euros and Ireland at €12.81 euros.
Cheapest countries in Europe to smoke
On the other hand, the cheapest countries in Europe to buy a pack of cigarettes are Bulgaria, where it costs an average of €2.77, Poland with a cost of €3.32 and Slovakia, at €3.46. However, the European average stands at €5.27.
The full list of prices can be viewed here.
Also read: Experts recommend cigarette price increase