MADRID – Vanilla ice cream from different batches with different expiration dates from the Häagen-Dazs brand may contain small amounts of the crop protection agent ethylene oxide.
Moreover, it concerns the tubs of 460 ml. The origin of the contamination is found in the Madagascar vanilla extract used in the preparation of the ice cream. The Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition has been notified by the competent health authorities of France through the European Food Alert Network (Rasff).
According to the Spanish consumer organisation FACUA, this information has been transferred to the competent authorities of the Autonomous Communities in Spain through the Coordinated Rapid Information Exchange System (Sciri). Therefore, this makes it possible to check whether the products concerned have been removed from the marketing channels.
The characteristics of the involved product:
Product name: VANILLA
Brand Name: Häagen-Dazs
Product Appearance: Tub.
Batch numbers: 4146758, 4156565, 4157457, 4163546, 4169920, 4172653, 4167054, 4222694, 4240220, 4246885, 4284604, 4287990
Preferential consumption dates: between 15/07/2022 and 16/05/2023
Unit weight/full: 460ml
However, as a precautionary measure, it is recommended that people who have products affected, do not consume them. Consequently, they should return them to the store where they were purchased. Furthermore, FACUA advises consumers not to eat the ice cream. Specifically if the cups have barcode 3415581101010 and best before dates from 3/8/2022 to 8/5/2023
Last summer, FACUA already denounced the presence of this compound in many batches of commercial brands of ice cream from Nestlé for sale in major supermarkets.
No immediate health risks
Previously, the warning went out in other countries including Australia, Switzerland, Singapore, Cyrpus and The Netherlands. Nutritional experts state that eating something that contains more ethylene oxide than is allowed does not immediately pose health risks. “But if you often and for a long time ingest large amounts of this substance, it may be harmful to your health.”