Spain counts more than 150,000 refugees from Ukraine

by Lorraine Williamson
Ukraine refugees
del canto chambers 2

More than eight months after the start of the conflict in Ukraine, Spain has hosted more than 150,000 refugees from Ukraine. This puts Spain among the European countries that took in the most refugees from Ukraine. 

Since the outbreak of war in Ukraine began on March 10 this year, the Interior Ministry’s Office for Asylum and Refugees (OAR) and the National Police granted protection to a total of 150,078 Ukrainian refugees as at last Tuesday. 

Spain one of the countries with the most refugees from Ukraine

With this figure, Spain is among the European countries that received the most citizens and residents of Ukraine. Of those who sought temporary protection in Spain, 64.1% are women (96,192). 34.55% are younger than 18, 25% are between 19 and 35, 33.76% are between 36 and 64. Those over 65 account for 6.6%. Most refugees were taken in by the following regions;

del canto chambers 2
  • Valencia, (38 873
  • Catalonia (34 070)
  • Madrid (22 002)
  • Andalucia (21 305). 

Temporary protection granted

The majority of refugees, 98.41%, have Ukrainian nationality. Meanwhile the remaining 1.59% are citizens of other nationalities who were legally residing on Ukrainian territory when war broke out. Thanks to the mechanism initiated by the Asylum and Refugee Office (OAR) of the Spanish Interior Ministry, temporary protection can be granted within 24 hours of the application. The procedure is initiated at national police stations across the country. It can also be done at the entire national territory and at approved reception centres, where officers of the national police, supported by interpreters, are responsible for taking identification data from Ukrainian citizens. All processed applications for temporary protection are accompanied by a residence permit and, for adults, also a work permit. In addition, refugees granted temporary protection in Spain can legally use their driving licence in Spain for at least a year, in accordance with the provisions of the Directorate-General for Transport. 

Also read: Spain among countries that sent least weapons to Ukraine. 

You may also like