Around 1,000 people have been evacuated from Gátova as an uncontrolled wildfire spreads through the Sierra Calderona area between Valencia and Castellón. By late Friday, the fire had affected an estimated 423 hectares across a perimeter of 11.4 kilometres, a sharp increase from the 133 hectares reported earlier in the day.
The wildfire began on Thursday evening in the municipality of Segorbe, in Castellón province, after a lightning strike during the violent thunderstorms that crossed the Comunitat Valenciana.
Its location, close to and partly within the Sierra Calderona Natural Park, has made the operation particularly difficult. Crews have been working across steep terrain, including areas where ground teams cannot gain access, and firefighting has had to rely heavily on aircraft.
The situation deteriorated markedly during Friday afternoon. The Generalitat raised the emergency to Situation 2 of the Special Forest Fire Plan, PEIF, and requested support from the Unidad Militar de Emergencias, Spain’s military emergency unit.
The third UME battalion, based in Bétera, was mobilised to support firefighters from Valencia and Castellón, Generalitat forest crews, and other emergency services. Earlier assessments identified several particularly difficult areas of the fire, including ravines and high ground between Segorbe and Gátova.
Gátova evacuated after earlier confinement
Residents of Gátova were initially ordered to remain indoors shortly after 3.00 pm on Friday as smoke was driven towards the municipality.
That instruction changed as the fire advanced. At around 5.20 pm, a second ES-Alert was sent ordering people to evacuate, with residents told to leave via the CV-25 towards Olocau and Bétera.
Gátova normally has fewer than 500 permanent residents, but its population increases considerably during the summer. By Friday night, authorities estimated that around 1,000 people had been evacuated.
The evacuation was reported to have taken place without serious incident. Among those moved were 11 young people from a residential centre for children in care and 14 dependent people, who were transferred to a residence in Carlet.
A reception centre has been established at the municipal sports centre in Bétera, with the Red Cross involved in arrangements for people unable to stay with relatives or find other accommodation. The evacuation is expected to remain in place overnight while the fire continues to pose a risk.
Fire remains out of control
Fire chiefs said late on Friday that the blaze remained out of control, with two active fronts.
Between 250 and 280 personnel were involved in the operation, working in shifts, while machinery and ground crews were already positioned to attack the active fronts during the night.
There is, however, some cautious optimism about the hours ahead. Fire commander José Melitón said forecast wind and humidity conditions could become more favourable overnight, potentially giving crews an opportunity to make progress after a difficult afternoon.
Those conditions will be important. The vegetation remains exceptionally dry after prolonged summer heat, while changing winds during Friday helped push the fire towards Gátova and contributed to the decision to evacuate the town.
The increase in the estimated affected area illustrates how quickly conditions changed. Earlier on Friday, authorities put the fire at around 133 hectares with a 7.8km perimeter. By late evening, that estimate had risen to 423 hectares and 11.4km.
However, not all of that land lies within the Sierra Calderona Natural Park, but officials have confirmed that the protected area has been affected.
For now, Gátova’s residents face a night away from home while hundreds of firefighters and emergency personnel continue working on the two active fronts. The next significant indication of the fire’s trajectory is likely to come after crews have had several hours to exploit the more favourable overnight conditions.